Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Nancy Clark. Cook time is the time for the bars to harden.
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted salted peanut
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds (or more peanuts or other nuts)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 2 cups uncooked oatmeal, old-fashioned or 2 cups uncooked instant oatmeal
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted wheat germ (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, mix together the first five ingredients, plus the wheat germ if desired, and set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; microwave on high for two minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until coated.
- For squares, pour the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch pan coated with cooking spray; for bars, spoon it into a 9 x 13-inch oblong pan. Press down firmly. (It helps to coat your fingers with margarine, oil or cooking spray.).
- Let stand for about an hour to harden, then cut into squares or bars.
Oh, where have you been all my life?! These bars are irresistible, a hit with the whole family! So long boxed bars! I subbed honey for corn syrup; didn't have Rice Krispies, so I subbed 1 c. steel cut oats for texture. Turned out wonderfully. Thank you!!!!
These bars are so easy and delicious! I tried them out by making a half recipe first, but liked them so much I had to make a full batch immediately! Only made one change - I used honey instead of corn syrup. Makes an easy, tasty snack!
WOW, these bars are amazing! They taste sooo good! Very peanutty, seedy, sweet and delicious. Mmmm! I used puffed buckwheat in place of rice krispies and sugar-free hazelnut syrup in place of the corn syrup. I felt that would make it sweet enough, so I left out the sugar completely. That way my bars didnt set up that sturdy, but they tasted so good and I could eat a few more. lol
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this true winner with us, Jen! I cant wait to make these again!
Made and reviewed for I Recommend on recommendation of weekend cooker February 2012.