Recipe by WaterMelon
This is one of my favorite cookies during Chinese New Year. Very peanutty with a bit of crunch. You can also dust with confectioners sugar after baking (while cookies are still warm) instead of brushing with egg wash. Cook time is 15mins per batch. Yield is approximation (i didn't count them and they were gone FAST!).
- 225 g peanuts
- 180 ml peanut oil
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 325 g all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 150 g caster sugar
- egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease baking sheet/line with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 180C (approx 350F).
- Toast peanuts until golden brown, then grind till fine.
- Set aside.
- Combine ground nuts and sifted dry ingredients.
- Slowly add oil, combine well.
- Add the egg.
- Form a fine dough.
- Roll pieces of dough into a small ball (size of a small lime) and place on cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg wash (combine 1 yolk and 1 tablespoon of water, beat lightly) and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.