Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A $200 winner in Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
- 6 ounces oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles
- 3 cups mixed vegetables, cut bite size (broccoli, sweet pepper strips, snow peas, sliced carrots, squash, etc.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter (or cashew)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped chopped (ground or whole) or 2 cups cooked beef, chopped (ground or whole)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts (or other nuts, like cashews)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- Set aside 1 seasoning packet from noodles to use in recipe; save remaining packet for another use.
- In a large saucepan bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Break up noodles slightly and add to water along with cut up vegetables. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan whisk together the 1 1/4 cups water, peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, crushed red pepper, and seasoning packet. Stir until smooth. Cook, stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken or beef, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots to the sauce; heat through. Add to the nooodle mix in saucepan.
- Toss to combine.
- Top with peanuts or cashews and green onions. Serve.
I made Recipe #276472 for the chicken part and used all broccoli for the veggies. Using the soup season. packet added a nice flavor to the sauce. I added half the peanut butter (I always do in these type recipes because my kids think it's too strong) and it worked out fine. I thought this was a fun recipe! Thanks Sharon, for posting. Roxygirl
The peanut sauce adds such a nice flavor to this dish. I used rice noodles instead of ramen noodles. I also used a 14 ounce package of frozen stir fry veggies, which was about 4 cups. The stir fry mix included water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, so I didn't use any additional. I tried this with sliced steak strips. Quick and easy to make on a weeknight.
This was a simple meal to put together. I used angelhair pasta and a raman noodle flavor packet left over from another recipe. Used Venison and a mixture of broccoli, carrots and peppers. Left out the bamboo shoots and had no peanuts to garnish with. The sauce was light and flavorful without the sickly sweet flavor of some peanut sauces. Will make again when I have leftover chicken or pork.