I love peanut butter, oatmeal, and bananas--put the three together with my favorite trail mix and it's the perfect cookie! These are hearty enough to have for breakfast, which is how I like to eat them, along with a cup of hot chai tea. YUM! I adapted this recipe from the one in "Cookies! A Cookie Lover's Collection" cookbook--their recipe was a little too crumbly.
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 egg white
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional(adds fiber and omega 3s)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups uncooked old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup trail mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and blend well.
- Mix in egg white, banana and vanilla.
- Add flours, flax seed meal, baking powder and salt and stir until well mixed.
- Add oatmeal and stir until soft dough forms.
- If the trail mix has large chunks (like dried pineapple), cut into smaller chunks, then measure to make 1 cup.
- Stir trail mix into the batter.
- You can either drop the dough by heaping teaspoonsful onto the cookie sheet (sprayed with cooking spray) or shape the batter a litte into flattened balls of dough. I like to shape them a bit.
- Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 12 minutes or until set.