Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Got this from Saveur Magazine. They say it's based on a recipe in Bruce Weinstein's "The Ice Cream Book".
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup smooth natural-style peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup shelled dry roasted salted peanut
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until just hot. Meanwhile, beat sugar & eggs together in a medium bowl until thick & pale yellow.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture in bowl, then pour milk-egg mixture into saucepan. Return saucepan to medium-low heat and cook custard, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in half the peanut butter. Strain the custard inot a large bowl, let cool briefly, stirring often, then stir in cream and vanilla. Cover & refrigerate until cold, 6-8 hours.
- Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, adding half the chopped nuts to the ice cream 30 seconds before it has finished churning. Transfer to a bowl, quickly swirl in remaining peanut butter, cover, and freeze until hard. Serve ice cream sprinkled with remaining nuts.