1 hr 5 mins
White Rose Child's Note:
I bugged these off my boyfriend and they're just too good not to share with the rest of the world. Although, admittedly, I've reduced the fat in them quite a bit. Who needs extra margarine with all the other amazing goodies in here?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown, experiment!)
- 1/4 cup margarine (of course, I use a vegan one, Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- egg substitute (for 2 eggs)
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour (could also try whole wheat pastry)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (see note)
- 1/4-1/3 cup almonds (sliced, slivered or chopped) or 1/4-1/3 cup additional 1/4 c. chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- egg substitute (for 1 egg)
- 1Very easy. Cream the sugar and margarine. Add the next three ingredients and mix well.
- 2Dump the next three dry ingredients in on top and mix well, then add the chocolate chips and almonds to combine. (NOTE: If you can find vegan peanut butter chips, use them! Amaaazing flavor! Unfortunately I can't get them anymore.).
- 3Spread the chocolate batter in a greased & floured 8" square pan.
- 4From peanut butter to egg replacer: cream these ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- 5Drop dollops of peanut butter into the top of the chocolate, and use a fork to swirl it in patterns like you were making a marbled cake. (Hint- you just may have a little extra safely vegan batter to sample. *wink*.
- 6Bake at 350 F for about 30-35 minutes. Watch them, check after 25 minutes or so and remove from oven as soon as the middle is no longer complete goo. This seems to be the key to the ultimate chewy-divine brownie experience.
- 7When completely cooled, cut into 16 squares, or as desired. If you don't wait, it goes pretty crumbly. (Ahem, this girl knows from experience. LOL.).
- 8Finally -- enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies- Veganized!
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.9
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 128.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 2.6 g