Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
If you don't have an ice cream maker, this recipe for a peanut butter semifreddo is the perfect solution. It's a creamy Italian dessert that means semi–frozen – an ideal treat for the summer.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Line an 8x4–inch (2 L) loaf pan with a large piece of plastic wrap, making sure it generously hangs over the sides. Warm 3 tbsp (45 mL) whipping cream with peanut butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, increasing speed to medium–high. Beat until whites hold stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat remaining whipping cream with vanilla until soft peaks form. Fold cooled peanut butter mixture into egg whites, then fold in whipping cream. Scrape into loaf pan, smoothing surface. Cover surface with overhanging plastic wrap, then cover with foil. Freeze overnight.
- Just before serving, unmold onto a cutting board and discard plastic wrap. For each serving, cut a 1–inch (2.5 cm) thick slice, then slice diagonally into 2 triangles. To serve, stand one triangle upright against the other. Sprinkle with toasted peanuts. Excellent with a tropical fruit salad, such as mango, pineapple and papaya. Rewrap and freeze any leftovers for up to a month.