Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw this today on the Joy of Baking website. I just have to try these!
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Peanut Butter Filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered or icing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peanut Butter Cookies: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 - 3 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Take about one tablespoon of the batter and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) between the mounds of cookie dough. Press the dough flat with the back of a fork that has been dipped in granulated white sugar. Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Peanut Butter Filling: In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the softened cream cheese, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and sugar until smooth.
- Assemble: Take one peanut butter cookie and spread about 1 tablespoon of the filling on the flat side of the cookie. Top with a second cookie, flat side down, to make a sandwich. If not serving right away, cover and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Makes about 18 sandwich cookies.