Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This scrumptious recipe originally came from a 4-H publication. This has been a family favorite for years.
- 59.14 ml butter
- 30 marshmallows
- 118.29 ml peanut butter
- 946.36 ml Rice Krispies (or any similar cereal)
- Prepare a 9x9 pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- Over low heat, melt butter and marshmallows in a large, non-stick pan. Stir frequently until creamy.
- Add in peanut butter, and stir until smooth.
- Turn off heat and add in the cereal. Stir gently until cereal is evenly coated with mixture.
- Scrape into the 9x9 pan and smooth down until flat on top (either use wax paper and push with your hands, or use the back of a large metal spoon).
- Let cool, then cut into bars.
When I make these, I melt the peanut butter and butter together before adding the marshmallows. After pressing them into the pan, I sprinkle about 1/4 c each chocolate and butterscotch chips over the treats, then put the pan into a warm oven for a few minutes to help soften the chips. Swirl the melted chips together to add another dimensions of yumminess to the treats.
DS & DD love these. I made them the microwave way so they were ready in under 10 minutes: in a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, marshmallows & peanut butter for 3 minutes (stir after 2 minutes). Stir then continue as directed. I followed reviewer Dragonfly AZ and sprinkled the top with mini-chocolate chips, stuck it in the warm oven until soft, then spread all over. I normally refrigerate RK Treats but have left them out as they're easier to cut at room temp. Don't think they'll be around for long. Thanks!
MMmmm, these are good! Tired of making ordinary rice krispie treats, I made these tonight and found them very yummy. My only complaint is that they seem drier than regular krispie treats and were harder to mix with the cereal as a result. I would maybe add a little more butter next time but thank you!