Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I know there are many Peanut Butter Pie recipes already posted here; I looked over many of them! This one is a bit different in that it has a meringue topping and a filling that is made from scratch. It does take some time, but I think you'll be pleased with the results and so will your family and guests...Anytime I've made it, it's been a delicious hit! (Cook time is on the generous side and includes time to make homemade crust; cook time includes time to make filling;both are estimates)
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten (save the whites for meringue)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites (use two mentioned above, plus one more egg white)
- Combine powdered sugar and peanut butter.
- Blend with fork or pastry blender until coarse crumbs form.
- Spread half of crumbs onto cooled pie shell.
- Set aside.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Add scalded milk and mix well.
- Pour small amount slowly over beaten egg yolk and mix.
- Cook on top of double boiler until mixture thickens.
- Add butter and vanilla; pour into prepared pie shell.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form a meringue.
- Spread on filling, sealing sides by crust.
- Sprinkle with remainder of peanut butter crumbs.
- Brown slightly under broiler-- WATCH!
- to avoid crumbs burning.
- Allow to cool and chill until ready to serve.
- NOTE: If you're in a rush and need a shortcut, you could substitute vanilla or French Vanilla pudding mix for the filling made from scratch-- either the kind you cook or instant should be okay-- Prepare according to package directions.
exceptional peanut butter pie. It's one my daughter and I have searched for years to have as part of our stach of pie recipes that we often crave and can't get enough of, often enough! Years ago our babysitter use to make this peanut butter pie recipe and it just brings back such good memories!!
This is very similar to a recipe my family loves! Thank you for posting!
This is really great! I like to make extra peanut butter crumbles. Always a family favorite! Thanks for posting.