Recipe by Petdrwife
This is like no peanut butter pie I had ever had before. I was introduced to it in a restaurant in TN at a resort area called Watts Bar. It was the tallest pie I had ever seen, the meringue was at least 3"!
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 pie shell (baked)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 egg yolks (reserve egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake pie shell according to package directions; cool completely.
- Make a crumbly meal from powder sugar and peanut butter; press 3/4 cup of mixture into the bottom of the baked and cooled pie shell.
- In saucepan bring to a boil 1 1/4 c milk, 1/2 c sugar and salt.
- Dissolve cornstarch and flour into 3/8 c milk; add to dissolved mixture two egg yolks well beaten.
- When first mixture comes to a boil, add thickening slowly, stirring constantly with wire whip. Continue to cook until mixture is thick and comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla;allow butter to melt thoroughly, then stir into mixture well.
- Beat together until stiff but not dry egg whites and 2 tbsp sugar. Add 2 tbsp more of sugar and beat until sugar is dissolved.
- Fold cooked mixture into beaten egg whites.
- Pour mixture into pie shell over peanut butter mixture; cool.
- Top pie with meringue(use Kittencal recipe #106232 and double it if you want a tall meringue like they use at the resort), spinkle remaining peanut butter mixture over meringue before browning in oven.
- Chill pie.