Recipe by littleturtle
Double peanut butter treat, great for an after school snack.
Top Review by akgrown
These are a great afterschool snack for the kids. I added chocolate chips and used all whole wheat flour. Very yummy with the frosting, the kids didn't even notice they were whole wheat! :-) I'm excited to try the chocolate variation next time.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips (optional)
- 24 solid chocolate wafers (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peanut Butter Squares:.
- Cream together all ingredients, except flour and frosting, until fluffy.
- Blend in flour.
- Press into bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown (don't over bake).
- Combine all frosting ingredients, adding milk until frosting is a spreadable consistency.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cool for a few minutes; frost with peanut butter frosting.
- Cut into 2-inch squares while warm.
- Chocolate Peanut Squares:.
- Add unsweetened chocolate and milk with the egg.
- Sprinkle batter in pan with sugar.
- Frost if desired.
- Peanut Butter Chip Bars:.
- Add chocolate chips with the flour.
- Brown Eyed Susans:.
- Arrange chocolate wafers on top of hot bars so a wafer will center on each 2-inch square.