Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Double peanut butter treat, great for an after school snack.
Make and share this Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Chip or Chocolate Peanut Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips (optional)
- 24 solid chocolate wafers (optional)
- Peanut Butter Squares:.
- Cream together all ingredients, except flour and frosting, until fluffy.
- Blend in flour.
- Press into bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown (don't over bake).
- Combine all frosting ingredients, adding milk until frosting is a spreadable consistency.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cool for a few minutes; frost with peanut butter frosting.
- Cut into 2-inch squares while warm.
- Chocolate Peanut Squares:.
- Add unsweetened chocolate and milk with the egg.
- Sprinkle batter in pan with sugar.
- Frost if desired.
- Peanut Butter Chip Bars:.
- Add chocolate chips with the flour.
- Brown Eyed Susans:.
- Arrange chocolate wafers on top of hot bars so a wafer will center on each 2-inch square.
These are a great afterschool snack for the kids. I added chocolate chips and used all whole wheat flour. Very yummy with the frosting, the kids didn't even notice they were whole wheat! :-) I'm excited to try the chocolate variation next time.