Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I threw this together trying to come up with something tasty and healthy that me, my boyfriend, and our dogs could enjoy for my boxer-rot's 3rd birthday... Please don't let that throw you off, this is so good and couldn't be easier. I'm thinking about topping the "people" portions with some homemade cream cheese icing. Since wheat and corn are bad for pups, this uses oatmeal for the flour, and dogs love peanut butter of course. I've also used natural, nutrient-filled sweeteners, and other sound ingredients such as aluminum-free leavening. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats, ground in food processor til fine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, aluminum-free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter, softened in the microwave for easy mixing
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Grease, flour, and line the bottom of a cake pan with parchment. (I love Baker's Joy, and this is a minimal amount of wheat flour, anything else won't keep the sticky oatmeal from sticking).
- Whisk together ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, canola oil, raw sugar, molasses, honey, peanut butter, water, and vanilla until smooth. Incorporate into dry mixture.
- Pour into cake pan and bake 15 minutes or until set. Mine was finished in exactly 15 minutes. The oats make this cake finish faster than other cakes, so be sure to not overcook.
- Voila! Enjoy.