Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The trick with these is not to overbake, throw in some chocolate or peanut butter baking chips if desired :) You could mix this by hand, but there is a lot of dough and it is quite thick so I recommend using a stand mixer to mix the batter, if you prefer a really sweet bar then increase the brown sugar to 1-1/4 cups.
Top Review by bricookie55
These are delicious! I'm only reviewing the brownie, not the frosting, as I left it out this time. I chose to use vanilla extract, self-rising flour (and left out the baking soda), and since I had no peanuts on hand, I threw in a half cup of bittersweet chocolate chips. So absolutely yummy! I don't think it needs frosting, personally, but I'm sure it's great with that too. This definitely cured my peanut butter cravings. Thanks for another winner Kitten!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons maple extract (or use 2-3 teaspoons vanilla)
- 1 1⁄4 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups large-flake oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons milk (more as needed, or use whipping cream)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer cream the butter or margarine with white and brown sugar until well creamed.
- Mix in the peanut butter.
- Add in eggs and maple or vanilla extract; mix until well blended (about 3 minutes).
- In a bowl combine the flour with oats, baking soda and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture and mix until well combined.
- Mix in chopped peanuts.
- Transfer to baking dish, then spread out evenly (the mixture will be quite thick so use you hands to spread in the dish).
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting; in a bowl beat butter or margarine and peanut butter until fluffy using an electric mixer.
- Gradually mix in confectioners sugar, when the mixture stars to get thick add in the milk or cream a tablespoon at a time until a desired spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Spread over the cooled brownies.
- Cut into bars.