Recipe by HokiesMom
An unusual combination using oats, rice crispy cereal, peanut butter and more to make a healthy treat for everyone in your family. I tried these from a recipe posted in the All You magazine of February 2008. Store these in an airtight container in the fridge! Remember to put parchment or waxed paper between layers when storing. They initially called for raisins but my kids don't care for raisins so I used dried cranberries in their place. Feel free to change the fruit with any dried chopped fruit of your choosing.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
To make this GF/CF I used margarine and puffed millet (plus regular oats). I melted butter, PB and honey together. This was too hard to make into balls, so I pressed into an 11x7 pan, chilled, and made 20 bars. It is a little crumbly, and I think I would use just a tad more honey next time (for more sweetness and maybe extra binder?) Made for Newest Zaar Tag. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup creamy natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (or raisins or other dried chopped fruit of your choosing)
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted lightly salted peanuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, honey and vanilla.
- Stir in cereal and oats and allow mixture to cool.
- Stir in fruit and chocolate chips.
- Form mixture into 1-inch balls then roll each ball in chopped peanuts, pressing to coat.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.