Recipe by Rhonda *J*
Peanut Butter & banana bread.... with frosting!Got this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens.
Top Review by Vinya
I loved this banana bread recipe - it's different enough from my usual recipe, given the addition of peanut butter and chocolate chips - that I'll definitely start using it more frequently. I made the recipe as stated, except for substituting smooth peanut butter and a TBSP or so of chopped peanuts for the chunky peanut butter since that's all I had on hand. The recipe made enough for me to fill up three loaf pans, which subsequently only took about 45 minutes to finish baking. About the waiting overnight before eating... eh, didn't matter much. Though the next-day bread is slightly more moist after sitting (weird, huh?) the loaf I okayed for my family to cut into the first night got rave reviews, even from my partner who doesn't typically like banana bread. The frosting got a little "weepy" after a day or two in the fridge, but that's purely cosmetic, just stir it up again and it's fine. (Reviewed for Bargain Basement Tag April '10)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large ripe bananas (1 cup)
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- finely chopped peanuts (optional)
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl,stir together flour, sugars,baking powder,salt& cinnamon.
- In another bowl, combine mashed banana, milk, peanut butter, oil, vanilla,& egg.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- pour batter into 2 greased& floured 8x4x2 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 50-55 mins.
- or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, cool thoroughly on wire rack.
- Wrap and store OVERNIGHT before serving.
- To serve, frost with peanut butter frosting& if desired top with finely chopped peanuts& mini chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter Frosting: In small saucepan melt chunky peanut butter& margarine or butter, remove from heat, stir in icing sugar& vanilla.
- Stir in milk,adding more if necessary until of spreading consistency.
- Makes about 1/2 cup.