Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Neither my husband or I are big fans of chocolate, so we prefer this variant of puppy chow. It doesn't last very long. :)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- 5 cups Chex cereal or 5 cups Crispix cereal
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Mix all ingredients but the cereal and sugar in a large pot.
- Heat on medium until butter and chocolate are melted.
- Stir in cereal.
- Transfer mixture to large paper bag or a bowl w/a lid.
- Shake puppy chow in powdered sugar until coated.
- Enjoy! :D.
Yum! Delicious variation! We really enjoyed this. The almond extract does have a lot of flavor, so it had both an almond and peanut flavor. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '12.
My two DGD's helped me make a double batch of these last night to send to a bake sale. They were pretty good. I almost felt as if the ratio of peanut butter to chocolate was not quite right however and would have been better with more chocolate and perhaps a bit less peanut butter. The taste of the peanut butter seemed to overpower the chocolate a bit. Still it was enjoyed by all here in the household before we packaged the 2 batches into 10 sandwich size bags for the sale. Made for PAC Spring 2012.