Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
a combination of this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/192346 and that recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx The peanut butter helps hide the tase of the brewer's yeast and adds protein.
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups oats
- 12 ounces peanut butter chips
- Heat oven to 350.
- Combine water and flax, set aside.
- Cream peanut butter, shortening, and butter. Add brown sugar and continue creaming. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Add Salt, baking soda and brewer' yeast, mix well. Stir in flour. Add oats (you may need to switch from a mixer to a wooden spoon at this step). Stir in chips. Drop by spoonfuls and bake at 350. (how long will depend on how big you make the cookies, I make them huge and bake for about 15 minutes).
- Makes a LARGE batch.
I make these cookies any time I feel my milk supply is slowing. My baby is currently a happy and plump 6 month old! Plus the cookies are yummy!!
Too much shortening/butter in the recipe, it was kinda runny until i added extra flour. Will use less fat next time and maybe an extra 1/2 cup of flour next time to see if it produces a better cookie.
I also like to add more brewer's yeast than is called for. Pretty good otherwise.