Prep 2 hrs
Cook 4 mins
With a parent's supervision, this is a kid-friendly recipe. Prep time includes time to chill.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In large glass bowl, combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Microwave about 3 minutes or till sugar is dissolved.
- Blend in peanut butter; stir in cereal.
- Pat evenly into buttered 11x7x2-inch pan.
- In small glass bowl, microwave butter or margarine and brown sugar for 45 seconds or till melted.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Stir in powdered sugar; beat till smooth.
- Spread over peanut butter-cereal mixture.
- Chill till firm.
- Cut into small bars.
- Makes 4 dozen.
These were so good that I ate myself silly! The only problem that I did have with them is that the icing didn't come out with just 1 Tbsp of milk. I had to add about an additional 1/4 cup to the Tbsp because the icing was way too pasty and not spreadable BUT I didn't sift the powdered sugar either so that may have been why it turned out like that. I forgot to sift the powdered sugar because I was in a hurry to make them. Guess I need to pay a little better attention to what I am doing :) I will make this again and again. They were just absolutely wonderful. Thank you, Bev.
The peanut butter krispies bars are so good alone like that, that we didn't need to do the icing. Thanks Bev. Made for Zaar Star Game.
Yummy! these bars are just delicious Bev! I took Myth Thyng's advise and doubled the recipe, using a 13x9 inch baking pan...made as directed using butter. Left out the frosting, there just great without it. I gave some away to my DS, he loved them, and kept some for myself and Dh, we love peanut butter! Thanks for posting Bev, great bars!...Kitten:)