Recipe by my3beachbabes
This was in Rachel Ray's June/July 2007 issue! I'm putting it here for safe keeping.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together 3/4 cup sugar and 3 eggs until thick. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer. Whisk a few tablespoons of the warm milk into the egg mixture, then pour the mixture into the pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats a spoon, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the creamy peanut butter. strain into a bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cream, the peanuts, vanilla and salt and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Scrape the chilled peanut butter mixture into an ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, combine the crunchy peanut butter, the remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup chocolate chips on medium speed. Whisk together the remaining egg and baking soda, then mix into the crunchy peanut butter mixture until combined. place tablespoon size balls of dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until golden, about 16 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets.
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining 1/2 cream to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Assemble the ice cream sandwiches and drizzle with the chocolate sauce before serving.