Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Creamy peanut butter is recommended for this recipe; not reduced fat or home-made peanut butter.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer; slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly (be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove pan from heat and beat in the peanut butter.
- Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large clean bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool slightly.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla; cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in you ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat; for firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze several hours.
- *Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream: add ½ cup miniature chocolate chips to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen; allow the machine to mix in the chips; proceed as directed.