This is an adaptation of a "Brownie Goody Bar" recipe I found on the back of a Better Crocker brownie box a few years ago. We also call them Scotcharoo Brownies, because they have a butterscotch, peanut butter, rice crispy layer on top of a fuggy brownie. This is my family's favorite sweet treat! They are sooo good. I usually wrap them individually in suran wrap and store in the refrigerator so that they do not all get eaten at once. This slows the guys down a little.
- 1 (22 1/2 ounce) box brownie mix, prepared (I like Betty Crocker Original Supreme)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag butterscotch chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal (use 4 cups for a thicker rice crispy layer)
- Heat oven to 350. Make brownies as directed for a 9 x 13-inch pan. Cool completely.
- Melt butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a 1-quart saucepan or in a glass bowl in microwave (1 1/2 minutes on high) stirring frequently.
- Stir cereal into peanut putter butterscotch mixture.
- Pour cereal mixture over brownies. Spread evenly.
- Refrigerate about 30 minutes or until set before cutting.
It's a rice krispie treat! It's a brownie! It's a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! It's all three in one and this is one dangerous treat! I absolutely love this. It was simple to make and sooooo delicious too. Thanks so much.
My family really liked these. They are like a rice crispy treat and brownie in one.
These are fantastic bars Cindy. I thank you for posting a great keeper recipe. So easy to make without all the fuss of making your own brownie bottom from scratch. I followed your recipe as written and decided on using the butterscotch chips instead of the p.b. as the previous reviewer had stated. I do believe as she said though that these would be good with any flavor chip incorporated into the p.b. These are not for the weight conscious:-)