Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This wonderful recipe comes from the December 2002 issue of Bon Appetit. It is very simple to make and looks and tastes fabulous! The peanut butter filling is very light and creamy and is nicely complemented by the chocolate crust. Tart is best made several hours or one day before it is served to allow the crust to soften a bit.
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground chocolate wafer cookies (about 28)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- 10 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch diameter tart pan with removeable bottom.
- Mix cookie crumbs and butter in medium bowl until moist clumps form.
- Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared tart pan.
- Bake until set, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- For Filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and peanut butter in a large bowl until smooth.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to soft peaks in another large bowl.
- Whisk half of the whipped cream into peanut butter.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons filling to a small bowl and reserve.
- Spread remaining filling in crust.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler.
- Whisk in reserved 3 tablespoons filling.
- Immediately transfer chocolate mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/8 inch tip.
- Pipe chocolate mixture in a spiral atop filling.
- Using a small, sharp knife, begin at center of tart and draw tip of knife toward the edge of tart.
- Move knife over 2 inches; begin at edge of tart and draw knife toward center.
- Repeat to form a web pattern.
- Chill until cold.
- Can be made 2 days ahead.
- Keep chilled.
Excellent. Have made several times. Perfect as is! Wafer cookies are found in a narrow yellow box (I believe Nabisco brand). They are usually in the ice cream cone section, oddly enough! If you love chocolate and peanut butter, you will LOVE this!