Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple and yummy and vegan! Flax seeds are a great substitute for chicken's eggs in baking, and add fiber and omega 3s! :)
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, non-hydrongenated (I use Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 dgrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Whip the ground flax seeds and water until thick and creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, milk and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed with a hand dmixer until well blended.
- Add flax seed mixture and beat until just combined.
- Add flour mixture (and ground peanuts or chocolate chips if using) and mix until just blended.
- Drop 1 tbsp of the batter onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten slightly in a criss-cross pattern with the tines of a fork (I use a pasty cutter, and roll it across the cookies).
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Do not overbake.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the sheet for 3-5 mintues before tranferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
These are really good Kozmic...! Your picture was what really sold me on trying them. I made a few subs...used only 1 cup of sugar and added a little molasses, which is OK but I probably shouldn't have messed with it. :) I also subbed 1/3 cup oil for the earth balance (that sub I think worked well...) I really like that you can flatten these out and get a more crispy style of cookie. Made for Veg*n Swap Mar10.