Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A fun dessert the kids will love to help make and the adults will love to eat.
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 18 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 6 ounces white chocolate chips (optional)
- food coloring, of your choice (optional)
- flaked coconut (optional)
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine peanut butter and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sifted confectioners' sugar. Reduce the speed to low and add the crispy rice cereal just until combined. Cover and place the bowl in the refrigerator for about an hour (do not skip this step!).
- Line a baking tray with wax paper. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator. Shape mixture into egg shapes and place them on wax lined baking tray. Recipe make approximately 20 eggs. Place baking tray in the freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- While eggs are freezing, use a double boiler and melt dark chocolate chips and shortening over low heat.
- Remove eggs from the freezer and using toothpicks, dip eggs in melted chocolate. Place back on wax lined baking tray. (At this point, you can sprinkle the eggs with coconut if you like.) Once all eggs are covered in chocolate, place trays in refrigerator to cool.
- While eggs are cooling, use a zip top plastic bag to melt the white chocolate and any food coloring in the microwave. Microwave for 10 seconds at a time, massaging the food coloring into the chocolate until completely melted.
- Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and allow to sit a minute. Snip the ends of the zip top bag and drizzle the colored white chocolate over the cooled eggs to decorate. To serve, line a plate with coconut and place eggs on top.
- SERVING SUGGESTION:.
- Serve with a cold glass of milk!