Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 mins
This recipe was featured in my local paper years ago and has remained a favorite ever since :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons maple extract or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars and 1/4 cup peanut butter.
- Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Blend icing sugar with remaining peanut butter until smooth.
- Roll into 24 balls, 1-inch each.
- Divide dough into 24 pieces; flatten each into a 3-inch circle.
- Place one peanut butter ball on each circle; bring edges over to completely cover it (dough may crack; reshape cookies as needed).
- Place cookies seam-side down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten each cookie slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 7-9 mins, or until set.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I had it years ago & lost it. I'm so happy to be able to make these again.
These were so good! I used 1/2 a cup of whole wheat flour along with 1 cup white flour, turned out great! The directions worried me a bit, but they were well worth it! I will make more for sure!
these taste soo good. I first saw them in the taste of homes, and have been making them ever since. once i get everything mixed I sit down at the table to roll the balls and put the peanut butter in. thanks!