Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I received an email from the www.allrecipes.com website today and this was one of their featured new recipes. SUBMITTED BY: EuroGirl6 "Who would have thought beans and peanut butter could go together in harmony? They do, in this satisfying vegetarian chili."
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 2 cups tortilla chips (optional)
- Place the diced tomatoes, water, garlic, and bay leaves into a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and season with the cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pour in the black beans and kidney beans; return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter until dissolved, then remove and discard the bay leaves, and season the chili with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with a sprinkle of Cheddar cheese, tortilla chips and smile!
I doubled this recipe: used a 26 oz. box of chopped tomatoes and a jar of organic salsa, two cans of chili beans, one can of black beans, and one can of garbanzo beans (which added a nice bit of crunch). Also used chunky peanut butter because that's all I had on hand. I was pleased with the result. The peanut flavor was not overpowering as I feared it might be. I might tweak the recipe in the future, but all in all, this was really good and I will make it again.