Recipe by swissms
In the South, some like to stir together peanut butter and maple syrup in a bowl and eat it with a spoon. This recipe combines those flavors into a peanut butter cake with a maple frosting.
Peanut Butter Cake
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar (or more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper, then butter and flour the parchment paper. (Or, line cupcake pans with paper liners).
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add peanut butter and vanilla and cream well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- In separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture alternately with sour cream and milk. Mix on low speed just until blended.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans (approximately 2 cups per pan), spreading evenly in pans. (Or, fill cupcake cups 2/3 full).
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Mix in maple syrup and vanilla. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.