Recipe by andypandy
This interesting cake has a porus texture and its delicate in the peanut flavour is supported with more peanut butter frosting. This recipe comes from Magic Baking Powder Cookbook. Makes an 8 inch one layer cake. Good for snack cake and lunch boxes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup creamy smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 8 inch cake pan, and line with greased wax paper.
- Sift together twice the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the shortening and peanut butter together until well blended.
- Gradually beat in the brown sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Combine the milk and vanilla.
- Add the flour to creamed mixture alternating with the milk, combining after each addition.
- Turn batter into prepared cake pan, and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Test with tester befroe removing.
- Place on wire rack let stand ten minutes, then turn out onto rack and remove paper.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- 1/4 cup room temperature butter.
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter.
- 1 egg white.
- 2 cups sifted icing powder.
- 1 tablespoon cream.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Cream butter and peanut butter until smooth and combined.
- Add unbeaten egg white.
- Work in the icing sugar alternating with the cream using just as much as needed to a spreading consistency.
- Add vanilla. Blend well.
- Frost 8 inch layer top and sides.