Recipe by Carolyn in Toronto
I cut this recipe out of the Toronto Star many years ago. It has a brownie base and peanut butter filling (almost like peanut butter nanaimo bars!). Very yummy and I have yet to find someone who didn't love it. Even kids go crazy for it!
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
peanut butter layer
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar (you won't need this much)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Brownie Base.
- Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat. Reserve.
- Whisk eggs with sugar. Beat in chocolate. Stir baking powder with flour and add to chocolate mixture. Add pecans, if using.
- Pour into 9 inch baking pan lined with foil. Bake in 350F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not over bake. Cool in pan. Chill 30 minutes.
- Peanut Butter Layer.
- Cream peanut butter with butter until smooth. Start with 1-cup icing sugar and beat in amount needed to make mixture spreadable.
- Spread over chilled brownie base. (Drop in small portions and then spread, as this is thick).
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate with butter over low heat. Cool.
- Spread over peanut butter layer.
- Chill 1 hour before cutting.