An Anna Olson recipe--a boston cream pie with a little twist for those peanut butter lovers! I recommend making this the day before and make sure you keep the filling cool and chill it before you try and put the glaze on, because the filling will ooze out every where if it gets too warm. I would probably make the cake and the filling the day before and glaze it the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Peanut Butter Filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For Sponge Cake
- 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For Chocolate Glaze
- 2/3 cup condensed milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease a 9 inch pie plate and place in a baking dish with a lip.
- 3For Filling:.
- 4Heat cream to just below a simmer.
- 5Beat remaining ingredients until smooth.
- 6Slowly beat in hot cream until evenly blended.
- 7Pour mixture into prepared pie plate and pour boiling water around pie plate (create a water bath).
- 8Bake 20-25 minutes until set.
- 9Let cool to room temperature then chill custard in pie plate completely.
- 10For Cake:.
- 11Grease a 9 inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- 12Grease again and dust lightly with flour.
- 13Heat milk and butter until butter is melted and keep warm.
- 14Whip eggs and sugar on high speed until thick and pale yellow then add vanilla.
- 15Sift flour and baking powder together.
- 16Add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating on low until just blended.
- 17Increase speed to medium and pour in hot milk and butter mixture, mixing until just blended.
- 18Scrape into prepared pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean.
- 19Let cool 15 minutes then turn out onto plate, peel off parchment, then invert (so top is up) onto a rack to cool completely.
- 20To assemble:.
- 21Slice cake into 2 layers.
- 22Stir chilled custard to smooth and spread over bottom layer. (you'll want to work quickly so it doesn't melt, if it does begin to soften, I would place it in the fridge before putting the top layer on because the top layer will make it ooze everywhere).
- 23Top with second layer and chill while preparing glaze.
- 24For Chocolate Glaze:.
- 25Stir condensed milk and chocolate in a pot over medium low heat until melted and shiny.
- 26Spread glaze over cake.
- 27Chill until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peanut Butter Boston Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.6
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 228.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 11.8 g