Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe from Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom (David Letterman), and it's a keeper. I made some with almond kisses and some with regular, and I used half chunky and half creamy peanut butter. I also substituted butter for shortening because it's what I had. It's a dangerous peanut butter cookie. Serving size is estimated and assumes one cookie, but good luck with that.
- 414.03 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml peanut butter
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 283.49 g Hershey chocolate kisses
- granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Shape into balls, using 1 teaspoon dough (the best cookie really is only 1"--I experimented with larger cookies, but they look like they need more chocolate kisses).
- Roll balls in granulated sugar to coat and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes at 375.
- Remove from oven and press a Hershey's Kiss into each cookie.
- Return to oven and bake 2 to 5 minutes longer.
I followed the recipe exactly and could only just barely get the dough to come together in balls - extremely dry and crumbly. They did not spread at all while baking and almost half of the first batch simply fell apart when I pressed the kisses in. However, those that stayed together did set up pretty well and were very tasty. I beat a second egg and 1/4 cup extra peanut butter into the remaining dough and that fixed the problem; the dough was much more workable and the next batch of cookies held together much better. Will make again, but definitely with double the egg.
Do not make alone unless you are very strong willed or are not concerned with calorie intake. Very addicting and easy to just pop ino your mouth. It's a little patch of chocolate peanut butter heaven. God help me. I have friends begging to save some for them but I just don't know if I can. This is a new family favorite. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing AmyZoe!