Recipe by AmyZoe
I found this recipe from Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom (David Letterman), and it's a keeper. I made some with almond kisses and some with regular, and I used half chunky and half creamy peanut butter. I also substituted butter for shortening because it's what I had. It's a dangerous peanut butter cookie. Serving size is estimated and assumes one cookie, but good luck with that.
Top Review by Sugarmoon
I followed the recipe exactly and could only just barely get the dough to come together in balls - extremely dry and crumbly. They did not spread at all while baking and almost half of the first batch simply fell apart when I pressed the kisses in. However, those that stayed together did set up pretty well and were very tasty. I beat a second egg and 1/4 cup extra peanut butter into the remaining dough and that fixed the problem; the dough was much more workable and the next batch of cookies held together much better. Will make again, but definitely with double the egg.
- 414.03 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml peanut butter
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 283.49 g Hershey chocolate kisses
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Shape into balls, using 1 teaspoon dough (the best cookie really is only 1"--I experimented with larger cookies, but they look like they need more chocolate kisses).
- Roll balls in granulated sugar to coat and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes at 375.
- Remove from oven and press a Hershey's Kiss into each cookie.
- Return to oven and bake 2 to 5 minutes longer.