I found this recipe from Home Cookin' With Dave's Mom (David Letterman), and it's a keeper. I made some with almond kisses and some with regular, and I used half chunky and half creamy peanut butter. I also substituted butter for shortening because it's what I had. It's a dangerous peanut butter cookie. Serving size is estimated and assumes one cookie, but good luck with that.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Shape into balls, using 1 teaspoon dough (the best cookie really is only 1"--I experimented with larger cookies, but they look like they need more chocolate kisses).
- Roll balls in granulated sugar to coat and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes at 375.
- Remove from oven and press a Hershey's Kiss into each cookie.
- Return to oven and bake 2 to 5 minutes longer.