Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Easy and quick....and easy to pack to send to loved ones away from home.
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1⁄3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ounces melted chocolate (optional)
- In large mixing bowl,beat peanut butter and shortening til smooth.
- Add brown sugar and baking soda,beat until combined.
- Beat in egg,milk and vanilla.
- Beat in as much flour as you can.
- Stir in remainingg flour and rolled oats.
- Spread into ungreased 8x8x2 pan.
- Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- To frost:beat peanut butter and 2 cups powdered sugar till combined.
- Slowly beat in milk and vanilla.
- Beat in 2 1/2 sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat in additional milk if necessary,to make of spreading consistancy.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- These are easy to send to loved ones far away.
- Just line baking pan with foil,lift baked,cooled cookie out in one piece.
- Frost (omit drizzled chocolate) wrap in foil and pack.
- Do not cut.
- We sent this to my brother when he was in the Navy.
- Now my son is joining the Navy,so he will be getting these too!
Super easy afternoon snack for the school kids! These bars turned out very moist and cake-like. Just how we like them! I used evaporated milk to make them a bit richer and also added chocolate chunks in the batter instead of drizzling chocolate on top. Thanks for the recipe that I will surely make again!