Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Try carving this delicious banana cake into sandwiches...filled with peanut butter buttercream and sliced bananas! From "Retro Desserts" by Wayne Harley Brachman. Times are a guesstimate (didn't time myself when making this)
FOR THE BANANA CAKE
- vegetable oil cooking spray, for coating the pan
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 4 bananas
- ice cream
- fudge sauce
- Make the Banana Cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 6" loaf pan with nonstick vegetable spray. Line the bottom with a rectangle of baking parchment.
- Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together--three times.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together at high speed for 15 seconds, until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Continue beating until light and fluffy (about 6 more minutes).
- In a medium bowl, mash the 3 bananas until soupy. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Beat in half of the banana mixture, then another third of the flour. Beat in the remaining banana mixture and then the remaining flour.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly pressed and a cake tester comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool.
- Make the peanut butter buttercream: On medium speed, beat the butter and peanut butterin a mixing bowl until blended. Reduce the speed to low and gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase the speed to high and beat for 3 to 5 minutes (until light and fluffy).
- Turn the cooled cake out of the pan. With a knife, trim off the end crusts and cut the cake into 1/2" slices. Peel the 4 bananas and cut into 1/4" thick rounds. Spread half the cake slices with the buttercream and layer the banana slices. Place remaining cake slices on top to form sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with ice cream and fudge sauce.