Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cookies are so simple--only 5 ingredients! The best part is they are healthier than your average cookie. They are moist, chewy and crispy-brown on the bottom. My family likes them as a snack or even for breakfast, and I hope yours does too! (Note #1: These cookies are best enjoyed fresh--meaning within the first day or two of being made. This is because they are very moist, and the moisture changes the texture of the cookie the longer they are stored in an air-tight container. Note #2: DO NOT substitute any other type of oats. Use only quick-cooking oats, or the cookies will not hold together as well once baked.)
- 2 bananas, medium, mashed
- 59.14 ml peanut butter, creamy (or crunchy if you prefer)
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, packed
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking oats
- 59.14 ml flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with the back of a fork. Stir in peanut butter and brown sugar. Then stir in oats and flour until thoroughly combined.
- Onto a greased cookie sheet, drop cookie dough by heaping teaspoonfuls. Gently flatten cookie mounds to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookie bottoms are light brown, and tops are no longer shiny.
I was looking for a more nutritious cookie - something like an "energy cookie," and this recipe looked like a pretty good start. I used almond butter instead of peanut butter, 1 banana & 1/2 sweet potato. (Didn't have any applesauce.) I only use the old fashioned oats - I never buy that over-processed quick-cook stuff. Didn't really measure, but stirred it all together in with a generous portion of unsweetened shredded coconut, cacao nibs, goji berries, and just a bit of maple syrup to keep it moist, and a bit of vanilla...Hmmm. I think I added chia seeds also! Two pinches of cardamom & a shake of cinnamon. I'm pleasantly surprised. :-)
Nice healthy treat. They were a little lacking in flavor so I added a few sprinkles of apple pie spice. That made them much better. Cinnamon would work too. Otherwise they taste like bananas, oatmeal, and peanut butter.
Not a bad cookie. They are easy and I had everything I needed. I would add some cinnamon or something next time for more flavor. But they made a great dairy free snack and got rid of my sweet tooth also.