Recipe by Kree
This is submitted in response to a request for recipes using carob. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a healthy and caffeine-free alternative to the traditional chocolate shake! Okay, mostly healthy! I got it from Vegweb. I'm sure you could substitute cocoa for the carob if you so desire!
Top Review by Suzy mom to 2
This was a yummy treat! I followed the recipe exactly but felt I didn't need to add the extra ice cubes because the banana I used was frozen ;-) The shake had a nice creamy consistency and the peanut butter flavour was subtile but unmistakable. Even though I used carob powder, it needed no extra sugar IMHO. Thanks!
- 1 banana
- 1⁄2 cup light vanilla soymilk (I like VitaSoy)
- 2 tablespoons carob powder or 2 tablespoons carob chips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peanut butter (or soy nut butter)
- sugar or sugar substitute (About 1 Tbsp. or to taste-only needed if using carob powder)
- 6 -8 ice cubes
- 1 dash cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- If using carob chips, place the peanut butter and chips in the microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for about 7-10 seconds, or until the mixture is smooth and pourable.
- Spoon into blender along with banana, soy milk, and ice cubes.
- If using carob powder, combine in blender along with banana, soy milk, peanut butter, sugar, and ice cubes.
- For both: Blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.