Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've had this recipe for ages- it's originally from a Sunday magazine in a November 26, 1995 edition of the Ceveland Plain Dealer.
- 414.03 ml flour
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 295.73-354.88 ml skim milk
- 78.07 ml peanut butter, room temperature, creamy or crunchy
- strawberry preserves or grape jelly
- Spray muffin tins with oil or line with paper liners.
- Stir together flour,sugar,baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine egg,1 1/4 cups milk and peanut butter.
- Add all at once to the flour mixture; stir until moistened.
- Add more milk if mixture is too stiff.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Make a well in the center and add 1 teaspoon preserves or jelly to center of each cup.
- In a preheated 400 degree oven, bake muffins 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden,.
These were so peanut-buttery. I used homemade peach jam in the center and it went really well. I cut the peanut butter into the dry ingredients (because I wasn't sure how it would mix in with the wet ingredients), and then portioned my muffin cups about 1/2 full, spooned the jam in (being careful to keep it in the center so it wouldn't leak out the sides), and then topped it off with enough batter to cover the jam. I would caution anyone not use more than 1 tsp. jam--I used too much jam in some of the muffins, and they bubbled over in the oven. My kids loved these, and so did I.
These were tasty - Five stars if based on taste alone. The only reason I give them a four star instead of five is that the grape jelly melted and oozed out the bottom. Only one of the 12 muffins kept it in the center, so maybe it is possible to keep it in the center with practice. But very tasty and moist.
Made these as part of a 'lure' during a park-wide garage sale, & they were quickly gone! I used extra crunchy PB along with an all-fruit strawberry spread, & that was a delicious combo! Great tasting muffins that I'd be happy to make again! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]