Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a big favorite in our house.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup strawberry preserves or 2⁄3 cup jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat in the peanut butter, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Form the dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll them in peanuts and place about 2 inches apart on a large cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes.
- Using a small melon baller or your thumb (but be careful not to burn yourself), make a deep indentation in the center of each cookie so that it will flatten slightly.
- With the melon baller, spoon about 1 teaspoon of the preserves into each cookie.
- DO NOT OVERFILL OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!
- Bake for about 15 minutes longer, until the cookies are golden and cracked.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
These taste very good, but I had the same problem with the 'crumbliness' of the end product. I only used the yolk, so maybe the whole egg is the answer.Also, I found that 1/2 tsp of jam filled the cookie.
I made these for Bargain Basement Event today. I did add another 1/4 cup peanut butter after reading PattiC's review and because I really like PB. I made certain my kitchen was nice and warm, my flour at room temp and my butter/sugar mixture was well creamed before adding the flour and salt, all these measures and making certain to watch my cookies so they didn't overbake in my aging oven and I had some nice crumbly but tasty cookies. I will make these again but will add 1/2 cup peanut butter next time and probably the whole egg as they were a bit too crumbly still. I did love the flavor and with my apricot jam inside ohhhh my goodness soooo yummy. Thank you Mirj for a great cookie.
I don't know if I did something wrong or not but the batter was VERY dry and I had a hard time making the dough into the balls. They kept falling apart and they also weren't moist enough to let the nuts stick to them. I had to slightly moisten my fingers with water. I could tell when eating them that they have the potential to be an awesome cookie. Maybe an ingredient is missing or maybe use the whole egg?