Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kiddo's love it and adults are REALLY surprised!! All the flavors you've loved your whole life! I created this cake for my kids and now their kids love it too. Great "carry" cake or fun Birthday cake for the PB&J lover.
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Grease sides and bottom of 13x9 pan.
- In large mixing bowl, blend eggs, oil, water and cake mix until blended. Beat on medium speed with mixer about 2 minutes. Pour into pan and bake until done about 25-30 minutes.
- While cake is baking: boil 1 cup water, remove from heat and stir in Jello until dissolved. Add grape jelly and stir til jelly melted and dissolved.
- When cake tests done, remove from oven. While hot, poke holes throughout top of cake (I use handle of wooden spoon). Pour grape Jello mixture all over top of hot cake letting mix into all holes. Set aside to cool on rack.
- In large mixing bowl, combine softened butter, peanut butter, vanilla and salt. With mixer at medium speed, mix about 2 minutes til well blended and somewhat fluffy. Add confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time(stop the mixer to add!) Beat on medium til all sugar is incorporated and consistency is thick frosting. Spread on cooled cake covering entire top with thick layer of frosting. As a finishing touch, I add a TINY sprinkling of salt to top of frosting or crushed salted peanuts.
So I was looking for a yummy, simple cake to take to a potluck, and found this recipe. WOW, was this a HIT!! Everyone just raved about it, even people who weren't big PBJ fans! I am definitely making this again! Just a couple notes: You don't say how much water to use in the cake mix part, so I just used the amount on the box. I also switched out grape jelly for strawberry preserves (and used strawberry Jello too). I also had to add a few sprinklings of water while mixing the frosting to smooth it out, it had a tendency to get "spackle-y". Other than that, GREAT RECIPE!