Recipe by TaterBug! :)
I was created this bar because I was looking for something really yummy yet healthy to eat before I go running early in the morning. I needed something with a bit less sugar and carbs and a bit more protein than usual. This bar is also high in fiber, lignans, and omega 3 fats. I used thick rolled oats, not quick oats because they digest slower (lower GI) and ultimately keep your blood sugar nice and steady and hunger at bay. I also use a reduced sugar jam, you could also try a sugar free jam. I really love PBJ so I used a PBJ bar recipe and totally mixed it up and made it healthy and higher in protein. Not too sweet and so filling! Enjoy!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 -7 Splenda sugar substitute, packets
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sugar strawberry preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Combine flour or low carb baking mix, oats, salt and baking soda. Beat oil together with sugars and beat till fluffy.
- Add egg substitute or 2 eggs, peanut butter, milk and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating until smooth.
- Spread mixture in pan. Dot with jam or jelly and swirl.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Watch closely!
- Let cool. Cut into bars.