Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 slices day-old country bread (cut 1 inch thick)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine the peanut butter and honey.
- Lay bread slices on a flat surface; with a serrated bread knife, slice bread horizontally, leaving it connected at the end, to form a pocket.
- Spread peanut butter-honey mixture in the pockets on one side.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip each slice of stuffed bread in egg mixture, turning to coat, and place on a piece of waxed paper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add 1 tablespoon butter; swirl to coat skillet.
- When butter foams, add 3 slices of bread and cook about 3 minutes, until lightly browned on each side, turning once.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to skillet and repeat with remaining bread.
- Serve immediately; add any toppings you like.