Recipe by Amy Duchesne
I got this yummy PB and chocolate crispy treat recipe from a friend of a friend and have looked on the Rice Crispy website for the same recipe and here on recipezaar and haven't found one exactly like it...similar recipe here on receipezaar yes, but not the same and none of them jelly rolled it and cut them into swirls which is different and cute! This recipe makes 16 swirls or you can divide the recipe into two logs and make mini swirls. And the best way to roll your log is with a silicone baking sheet liner called SILPAT ( google it )...it worked REALLY well! Nothing sticks to it...nothing!
- 3⁄4 a cup golden syrup
- 3⁄4 a cup smooth peanut butter (or 3/4 a cup of chunky peanut butter for added texture )
- 3⁄4 a cup granulated sugar
- 4 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄4 a cup butter (or 1/4 a cup of margarine )
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 a cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups , powdered sugar*
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, combine the corn syrup, peanut butter and sugar. Melt together stirring repeatedly until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy. If the sugar does not completely dissolve but you feel the mixture is smooth enough you can take off of the heat.This may take 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the peanut butter mixture and the Rice Crispies. Work quickly to coat the cereal completely.
- Turn out the mixture onto a large greased cookie sheet or onto a silicone baking sheet liner ( SILPAT -you can google it ).
- At this point you can place the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish and later cover it with the chocolate icing or you can proceed as follows for some cute swirls!
- Work fast to spread out the mixture into a 1/2 flat rectangle -- following the contours of the cookie sheet as much as possible.
- Cool off the mixture in the fridge or freezer for 5 mins or so ( you don't want to over cool it because you still have to roll it ).
- While the mixture is cooling you can quickly assemble the chocolate glaze. In a small mixing bowl combine the butter and the milk. Heat up in the microwave for 1-2 mins, melting the butter. Now add the cocoa powder and mix well with a whisk to get out all the lumps. Add the powdered sugar *you may need more than the recipe calls for to obtain a nice thick glaze, add more by the tablespoon. I followed the recipe and was fine.
- Take out the cooled off cereal mixture from the fridge and drizzle your chocolate glaze. I only needed 1/4 of the chocolate glaze and we loved the result -- but to each his own so add as much or as little as you want. But remember the more you add the more chance you have of it leaking out the sides.
- Using your greased hands ( if you don't have a SILPAT you might want to grease your hands ) or the edges of your SILPAT, roll the cereal mixture into a log. You can compress the mixture and seal up any cracks along the way -- it is very easy to work with.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins to an hour before slicing into swirls.