Recipe by evelyn/athens
I've been addicted to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups since I was a kid. Can't get them here in Greece. This cheesecake makes up for their absence.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 360 degrees F (170C).
- Butter a 9 inch diameter springform pan.
- Dust pan lightly with flour.
- Melt chocolate and butter.
- Blend flour, salt and baking powder in small bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in bowl until ribbon forms when beaters are lifted, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in chocolate, vanilla and chopped chocolate.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just blended; do not overbeat.
- Spread 1 cup batter over bottom of pan.
- Bake until firm, about 17-20 minutes.
- Cool crust in freezer, about 15 minutes.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Prepare filling: Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs and sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Blend in peanut butter.
- Using small knife, spread remaining brownie batter evenly around sides of pan, sealing to bottom crust.
- Pour in filling, which will not be as high as brownie batter.
- Bake until centre is gently set and brownie sides have fallen to form a 1 inch wide ring around filling, about 30 minutes.
- For topping: Blend sour cream and sugar in small bowl.
- Spread evenly over cheesecake to cover (you may or may not add peanut butter to topping).
- Bake 3 more minutes.
- Set cake on rack.
- Using small, sharp knife, cut around top edge of cake to loosen from pan sides.
- Cool completely.
- Loosen cake with knife and release from pan.
- Refrigerate until ½ hour before serving time.