Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I rarely cook anything for breakfast. A typical breakfast for me consists of a whole wheat bagel thin with peanut butter and honey, some days I top it with sliced bananas. On the side I generally have a glass of V8-Fusion juice and a cup of tea. In the spirit of the Healthy Eats January Challenge, I thought I'd whip up a healthy, easy and quick (only 20 minutes cook time) breakfast that can be enjoyed by the whole family. Seeing as it is National Oatmeal Month, it seemed fitting that oatmeal be at the heart of today's breakfast. Feel free to substitute another fruit instead of the apple or used dry ingredients. Just make sure that your dried fruit isn't loaded with sugar or other artifical ingredients.
- 2 cups Quaker Oats
- 1⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 11x7 inch baking pan. If you don't have one, you can use an 8x8, 9x9, or if neceessary an 11x13.
- Place peanut butter and butter in a microwave safe dish. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir together.
- Place all ingredients, except fruit, into a bowl. Using an electric beater or KitchenAid mixer, beat ingredients together for approximately 1 minutes.
- Peel a whole apple and thinly chop into pieces, no larger than the size of your thumb nail.
- Stir the apples into the oatmeal mixture.
- Pour the mixture into greased pan and press entire mixture down firmly with your fingers.
- Place pan into the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. If you are using an 11x13 pan, it will take a bit less time because the mixture will be much thinner.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into strips. Let the remaining bars cool entirely before you place in tupperware or wrap them in foil.
Made these for husband and kids as i don't care for peanutbutter. All seemed to come together fine, they just didn't care much for the taste. Won't make again.
Something is definitely missing from this recipe. Water or some form of liquid. Mine cam out just a dry crumble. Wish I had read the previous reviews first !
The flavor of these is great.....but mine didnt come together at all (was more like a crumble). Maybe next time an egg?