Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This recipe was given to me by a dear friend. It is wonderful. You can make this recipe a lot easier by serving store bought caramel sauce.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups soft bread cubes (6-7 slices of bread)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely broken peanut brittle
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- whipped cream, if desired
- Heat all caramel sauce ingredients except vanilla to boiling in heavy 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat slightly.
- Boil about 30 minutes, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved and mixture is light caramel colored.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Cool about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom and side of 1-quart casserole with shortening.
- Place 2 cups of the bread cubes in casserole.
- Sprinkle with half of the peanut brittle; repeat with remaining bread cubes and peanut brittle.
- Beat egg in small bowl.
- Stir in milk, brown sugar, and butter.
- Pour over bread mixture.
- Bake uncovered 23-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with caramel sauce and whipped cream.
This is so easy and yummy. I used store bought caramel sauce. Next time, I will make my own.