Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great crisp peanut brittle, it takes a little practice but is well worth the effort. From a 30 yr old cookbook, Betty Crocker I think. All the covers and title pages are long gone....
- Butter 2 baking sheets.
- Keep warm.
- Combine soda, 1 tsp water and vanilla.
- Set aside.
- Combine sugar, 1 cup water and the corn syrup in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 240 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- (soft ball stage) Stir in butter and peanuts.
- Cook, stirring constantly to 300 degrees F.
- (hard crack stage) Watch carefully so mixture does not burn.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in soda mixture completely.
- (Mixture will foam up) Pour half the candy mixture onto each warm baking sheet and quickly spread as thin as possible with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Break candy into serving pieces.
The peanut brittle turned out perfect. Very crisp and does not stick to the teeth. Thanks for submitting this recipe. Others I have done have not turned out as yummy as this one!