Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Delish Peanut Brittle
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled virginia raw peanuts (leave the skins on)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Mix the peanuts, sugar, corn syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe casserole dish until well mixed.
- Cook in a microwave on high for 4 minutes; open and stir the mix well; then cook on high for another 4 minutes.
- Open, stir in the butter and vanilla, then microwave on high for a further 2 minutes.
- Finally, remove from the microwave, open the dish, add the baking soda and stir quickly until the mix is light and foamy.
- Immediately pour the mixture onto a lightly-greased baking sheet, spreading it out thinly.
- Allow the mix to cool - then break it into small pieces and store in an airtight container.
- Tip: The trick to making thin, tender peanut brittle is to keep the baking sheet(s) you use warm. I recommend heating them in a conventional oven at around 200o F (about 95o C) before you spread the peanut brittle mix. This should allow you to spread the mix 1cm to 2cm thick without it setting up.