Recipe by bcfdwife
You can use any type of nut with this recipe. Besides peanuts I've used cashews and almonds. I just might try using mixed nuts this year for Christmas baskets. Servings and time to make are approx--I never really timed myself making this.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease (or spray lightly with Pam) a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugars, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts when temp reaches 250°F Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 305°F (150°C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
- Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine, baking soda and vanilla; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.