Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great recipe, especially for holiday gifts. Read the directions carefully, I included good pointers. This is my interpretation on a recipe from www.allrecipes.com. Variations include pumpkin seeds, almonds and cashews . You may use all white sugar, however, I threw in dark brown sugar for both taste and colour.
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup peanuts (if salted peanuts, omit 1/4 tsp of salt)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Have ALL the ingredients measured out and ready. This recipe requires that you react quickly. You do not have time to measure ingredients in between steps.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water.
- Set candy thermometer in place and stir until the thermometer reads 250 degrees(may take some time, be patient, its worth it).
- Stir in peanuts.
- Stir frequently until temperature reaches 305 degrees F (for crunchy), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
- Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine, baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour at once onto cookie sheet.
- With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14x12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.